Saturday, December 19, 2015

NUS Life + Module Reviews Y1S1 15/16

(For people reading this for the module reviews, you can just scroll down lol)

At the time of writing, I have no idea what the heck my results are lmao so I will just document my experiences with these modules first. Then I'll update with my results after 22nd December, hopefully I don't sob till I die of dehydration but yeah.

Anyway DO TAKE NOTE I did not study at all this semester (I do not count literal last minute cramming sessions as studying) and it is NOT something y'all should do. If you know me I'm not those kind of idiots that will say OH HAHA I didn't study IF I DID.

(Funny Story: I told everyone that I got a D for H2 math and months later I found out that they thought I was joking?? lmfao sorry I am not you  & I don't do self deprecating jokes I tell it like it is ok why am I so angsty LOL let's continue)

I guess I'll start with my experiences in NUS so far (because I haven't been updating this god damned blog UGH).
I joined CAC Camp and that kinda caused me some problems in life (we shall not go there) but overall everyone I met there was cool and awesome and nice! But I didn't form lasting friendships with them because it's an interfaculty camp. Or maybe my OG just isn't bonded lmfao. Anyway I think my OG won 2nd best OG but I wasn't there as I skipped the clubbing night on purpose. Don't skip the clubbing night because it's really uhm not crazy as they book the entire club and it's all NUS people and it's safe I guess lol. So just go for the stupid club night if you have never clubbed before to gain some fake experience. I didn't go because I was a pussy and I was wayyyy too tired (took a 3h nap upon reaching home i hate camps).


With the CAC Camp people!!

I joined SOW Camp as I wanted to learn about the bidding process (yes, orientation week camps most likely will teach you about bidding and to me it was really helpful as I'm a daze my seniors were nice and approachable lol) and also make friends from the science faculty (DUH). I met this girl named Mabel and honestly some times I feel like our wavelength a bit different lol but she's really nice and sweet and we get along!! I'm so excited to be able to go for the same lectures with her next semester. I also met Gautham and Jon. Jon's an asshole but I'll get used to him. Gautham is a sweet heart.
My SOW OG went for Science Bash because one of my OG mates was in it (Bash is some stupid pageant thing lol). Clement's honestly quite handsome but his face not really my type HAHA. His charisma is undeniable though. So yeah that was my virgin "club" experience it's so stupid you just stand there for 1 million hours and clap and cheer and my legs were so fucking tired. It was honestly quite boring lol.

With Mabel!! She's damn chio pls luckily I'm not that bisexual.


With my SOW OG don't judge us that's like the pose for some OG cheer lmfao.



With Clement outside zouk after Bash LMAOOOO and yeah he won science king hahaha

Yeappp Ok I guess this sums up my before-school-officially-started life lulz

Onto the module reviews!!!

I took LSM1103 LSM1104 CM1401 GER1000 EC1301
Yes, rule of thumb DO NOT take unrestricted electives (UE) so quick into your university life. Generally the advice is to clear your (imo) annoying general education (GE) modules first. But there was no GE module that I wanted and tbh no GE module is interesting to me.. ugh.

LSM1103

Topics:

  • Classification & Systematics
  • Microbiology (2 Lectures)
  • Botany (3 Lectures 1 Practical)
  • Zoology (6 Lectures 4 Practicals 2 Tutorials)
^Taken from what I currently see in my IVLE

Microbiology explores bacteria, archaea and viruses. If you took H2 Biology, most of the content in the lectures will be a breeze. I feel that they added some information here and there, but then at the same time some things were made to feel less important (like the mode of entry of bacteriophages) as compared to the emphasis the H2 syllabus made. But anyways I felt that the lecture notes provided were sufficient. I did some other reading up on my own because I was interested. Other than that.. I didn't touch this topic until 1 day before the exam lmaoo (pls dont do this).

Botany covers stuff like Algae, Bryophytes, Gymnosperms and Angiosperms. Tbh I was SUPER confused by all the terms because I didn't bother to clarify those terms by myself until the last minute. Actually they are all very easy to understand lol. If you're unsure just draw some flowchart or mind map! I find that the lecture notes had sufficient information. But of course, it's always better to read the recommended textbook and find out about relevant additional information. I didn't because I hated plant topics but actually botany is very bearable (the topics covered, not the lecturer lol she was quite boring actually. But imagine lecturing the same shit every sem. I will get tired too hahahah). The practical was just looking @ plant samples and also looking into microscopes to look at the spores and whatever lol 

Zoology covers basically almost all the Metazoans. I got prof Siva as my lecturer and he's not bad. He's engaging without compromising lecture content. I hate it when lecturers try to be funny for the entire duration of the lecture and teach nothing UGH. But he isn't like that so I appreciate it. Anyways zoology is interesting but it has a SHITLOAD of content so unless you are GOD then yes you need to bring in materials to refer for the open book exam. Lecture notes provided were sufficient for me but reading the textbook is recommended. 


With my lab group!!! B06 haha I love them all very very much!!

Things to note

1) LSM1103's finals is an open book examination

This means you can bring everything except electronic devices lol. I was like SHIT I can't bring in a laptop to ctrl+f ?? HAHA
But yeah during exam I brought in notes that I typed (printed out ofc) and wrote. Some people brought in like the thick ass textbooks.. DUMB imo. So fucking heavy and gurlll you gonna flip that shit during exam?? Nah. 

My advice is to re-organise contents from lecture notes by typing out key points and relevant examples. Also include in any textbook information you deem necessary. Don't bring in the whole textbook la pls. But if you want to then that's your prerogative!! If you feel more safe with a textbook pls go ahead I hold no responsibilities for your future grades via the shitty advices I'm giving out now.

2) You have to write essays.

They treat proper formatting and citations rather seriously. For instance my citations were deemed "messy" because I didn't indent the second line, so I was penalised half a mark lol. So make sure everything is perfect before handing it in. 

Content wise, please use simplified scientifically correct terms. I have no example at the top of my head now, but no bombastic rhetoric pls. It will get you no where. Keep in mind that your TA probably has to mark 30 over scripts, and if your terms and sentence structures are horrible then they probably will have a hard time giving you marks. Keep it SIMPLE, and FACTUAL. 

In addition, use pictures where applicable to demonstrate your points. Treat your essays in this module like you are discussing something with your peers not taking biology - keep everything easy to read by using simple correct words, and use images to make your points clearer. I say use images because they gave extra marks for usage of relevant tables and pictures so JUST USE AND GET THE MARKS LA ok lol. 
And just to clarify- when I said simple I meant word usage, not your content of the essay ok.

3) You will have a practical examination.

This practical examination covers topics in the zoology lectures & lab sessions.
Do note that most of the time, they re-use specimens. Hence please pay more attention during your lab sessions and take photos and write down whatever the TAs are explaining, so that during the exam you will go OH MY GOD I SAW THIS THING BEFORE and ta daaa you will be able to answer the question LOL

You are also allowed to bring one A4 sized cheat sheet, both sides. Start your cheat sheet 1 week early. I finished mine the day before the exam because I'm the procrastination queen. I almost died the next day because it was a 9AM exam in school @ block S2 wtf so far away I ran until I almost died. The examination is 30 minutes and you are allowed to just sit where ever you want. You have 3 minutes for each station, 9 stations in total i think? idk pls go check with other module reviews LOL.

Anyway the MAIN THING is a) prepare your cheat sheet early & b) pay attention to the zoology practicals then you will be safe.

4) CAs will be in the form of online open book quizzes

Means you can do the quizzes at your own leisure and google all the answers. But it normally comes with a 30 minute time limit. Questions are easy but tricky imo. Contributes to your final grade. I think there was about 3 quizzes??? I forgot but ya its manageable.

Grade: B+
(I would say not bad, despite the shitty essays and CAs!!)

LSM 1104

Plant topics 
  • Plant physiology 
  • Photosynthesis 
  • Water Transport
  • Biofuel (not impt imo LOL I didn't really care but then again when did I care abt anything)
Animal topics
  • Energy & Thermodynamics
  • Feeding & Ingestion 
  • Ionic gradient & Membrane potential
  • The neurone
  • Cytoskeleton & Motor proteins
  • Skeletal muscle
  • Heat pdn & body temp (homeostasis)
Plant topics were insufferable imo. I've always hated plant topics. Prof Kumar is very boring. He reads from lecture slides but he also adds on so I guess it's beneficial to stay awake during lecture.
There are 2 tutorial sessions (I think). These sessions cover scientific research papers and you must learn how to read superscripts and what they denote. Important for the examinations.

Animal topics were way more fun. Prof Ip is such a passionate lecturer. HE EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, including diffusion lol WITH SO MUCH ENTHUSIASM. Hello diffusion??? What the heck. So pls be quiet during his lectures and give him the respect he deserves. I got so annoyed when ppl wont stop talking during his lectures because a) he speaks quite fast b) sometimes his mic isn't attached properly lol so he's a bit soft. But anyway he's the BEST lecturer I've ever encountered in my short 19 years of life so ya. 
He's also very responsive to emails, but towards finals of course he can't be that responsive with 1 million ppl emailing him. Read all the Q&As and do some MCQ practice and you should be fine. MCQs can be found online just google physiology questions.

Things to note

1) Finals is a 100 MCQ paper.

Personally I almost couldn't finish because I took my own sweet time, thinking that 2 hours was wayyy more than needed but NO lol. Just pace yourself properly. It is a closed book examination.

2) Practicals without lab reports.

Practicals in this module seem to be mainly.. For fun?? I really appreciated this because I genuinely loved all the practicals and the questions raised from doing those relatively basic experiments. Personally for me I took every chance during practicals to take down notes and ask questions. I think overall 1104 is the only module I cared about because everything was enjoyable. Hmm.

Paramecium!!

3) Lab is based on a first come first served basis

Lab slots weren't balloted during the tutorial balloting round in CORS.. It was a first come first served WHOEVER CLICKS ON THE SLOTS GETS IT FIRST basis on IVLE. Basically just camp @ IVLE and click the slot you want when it opens ok lol
I didn't get the slot I wanted and had to sacrifice my free day sobs

4) 2 CAs, 1 Final exam
First CA is on plant topics. Score well for this if you want to top the bell curve because everyone does quite badly for this.
Second CA is on animal topics. MUST score well because EVERYONE scores well lol. I got 36/40 for this MCQ with minimal studying so THIS SAYS A LOT about how easy it is. My score was the median btw.
As mentioned earlier practice MCQ questions found online if you want to do well because the dept does not release papers.

Grade: B+
(To get an A, pls do well for plant topics CA! I got only 14/20 hence the B+)

CM1401

Physical Chemistry topics:

  • Atomic structure
  • Properties of atoms
  • Chemical bonding
  • Chemical equilibria + acid base rxn
  • Thermochemistry Thermodynamics
  • Electrochemistry
  • Kinetics
Organic Chemistry Topics:
  • Alkanes Cycloalkanes
  • Alkenes Alkynes
  • Benzene
  • Stereochemistry
  • Halogenoalkanes
  • Alcohols
  • Ketones Aldehydes
  • Carboxylic acid Nitriles
  • Acid derivatives
  • Amines

Physical Chemistry was taught by Dr Sellou. She's french but I had no problems with her accent. The only qualm with her is that she tends to say the wrong things sometimes. Like when your brain doesn't coordinate with your mouth lol. I also feel that she really tries her best to explain things because English isn't her native tongue. Anyways I appreciate the effort because I know this is the best she can teach lol. She isn't the best lecturer out here for sure but decent.
Do note that CM1401 lectures will always seem rushed because they are basically throwing @ us almost the entire H2 syllabus plus additional things. They can't help it tbh it's the way the faculty wants them to teach chem to us.

Organic Chemistry was taught by Fung Fun Man. He also records lectures that is compulsory to watch because if you don't watch them then there is no other lecture LOL. You can always just look at the provided lecture notes if you don't wanna listen to him explain stuff via online lectures. Content is pretty heavy for organic chemistry. I used to be a genius @ organic chem but my motivation for doing work was just 0% SOBS. Anyway the online lectures are bearable to say the least. I don't really enjoy online lectures all that much. He is a friendly lecturer that tries to make bad jokes but I applaud him for trying LOL.

Things to note

1) There will be 2 CAs and 1 Final exam

First CA was on physical chemistry. 1 hour MCQ paper, relatively manageable because I got slightly above median mark LOL (I forgot exact tho). It was a perfect normal distribution curve btw. Tests quite a bit on calculation and also on theory. So just study everything. Closed book.

Second CA was on organic chemistry. FFM the lecturer gave us an online open universe CA. Means you bring in your laptop and shitload of notes into the lecture hall you're assigned to and just do the CA in 45 mins i think?? Or was it 1 hour I forgot. But it was do-able because I got quite high marks as compared to my friends... Idk I think I was just lucky choosing the answers lol.

Finals was SHITTY UGHHHHHHHHHHH There was MCQs and written parts. I did HORRIBLE for the organic part I literally knew 0 things about everything lol. Physical was ok but I know for sure I'm feeding the bell curve.

2) Weekly tutorials!!

I found the tutorials very helpful. The questions could have more variety but I think they were sufficient in covering all the topics in this module. My organic chem tutor was this indian lady and she's pretty good at explaining stuff. Dont skip out on tutorials unless you think you're better off doing something else. But then again it's only 1 hour haha so just go I guess.

3) Past year papers are available

Unlike 1103 and 1104, CM1401 past year papers are released by the dept. Hence, imo, textbooks aren't really necessary. But then again you can always torrent textbooks so do additional practice if you think you need!

Grade: B
(THANK GOODNESS!!!!! I thought I'd get a D or something ;__; I feel like the organic CA saved my ass because I got rather high marks for that!! Finals was shitty hence the B grade. I S/U-ed it tho lol)

GER1000

Topics:

  • Projection
  • Design of studies
  • Association
  • Sampling
  • Uncertainty
  • Networks
All topics are taught via online lectures. Every week, you must watch at least 5 videos for a chapter and then do a very extremely short quiz. My advice to you is to try not to do last minute work like I did because once when I did the quiz 1 hour before deadline, IVLE STOPPED WORKING WTF So yeah do your work earlier ok hahah

Things to note

1) Fortnightly tutorials

Yep no tutorials every week! So plan your tutorial slot in such a way that when it's a week with no tutorials, you can go home early!! haha 
Tutorial questions are manageable and mostly from feedback from my friends, they said their tutors are really good. Mine was too. My tutor was always well prepared for every lesson and ready to take questions from anyone. Anyway I heard that GER1000 tutors teach about 10 or more classes.. What a nightmare ;__;

2) There will be 1 group project

-First stage proposal (Choose a news article and come up with ways that your group intends to critique it. Is the author talking nonsense? Is the study referenced from nonsense?)
-Analysis of everything (Your tutor will guide you through this step because imo it differs for each topic)
-Writing of a 2 page report (Minimal citations required because tutor said so)
-A2 sized poster
-Presentation of project and poster to your tutor

/start rant/
This group project was the bane of my existence because of two people in my group. Kimberly and Shreya. Shreya wasn't around when we did most of the first round proposal, and even though Kimberly was online she didn't really contribute much???? Idk what she was doing but whatever.
Then came the actual stage of processing data and writing the report and doing a poster. Shreya Agora was unwilling to come to school to do it because she lived in bedok during weekends. UHM??????????????? IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT U LIVE THERE??? AND I have friends that live @ Bedok but they take only 1 h to travel to school?? And it's also the same time for me too?? And I didn't complain???

Sigh but I honestly feel happy because I wrote the entire report myself (I got scott and brandon to help me with the data hahah) and I felt that I did a really good job whoohoos

Anyway I'm secretly thankful that S and K weren't involved with bulk of the project because S is the type of person that talks a lot during IRL meetings but her ideas are either shit or she just talks a lot with no further follow up action. basically the worst kind of people u can meet in school and at work LOLOL
As for K... She's pleasant but idk what she's doing most of the time. At least she didn't anger me because during the poster presentation, she didn't talk over everyone unlike shreya. Yes, S didn't do anything but during poster presentation, she kept talking like she did everything??? And poor Brandon didn't get a chance to speak. sad. anyway my friend is shreya's lab partner.. guess what? shreya never did a god damned thing for the lab reports they needed to write. /end rant/

3) 1 CA, 1 Final paper

Both papers were easy but tricky. (It's those kinda questions that you need to look at 5 times before realising they changed a word here or there LOL or maybe I'm just blind af)
But yeah CA is 1 hour while finals is 2 hours.
I left early during final paper because I finished it in the first hour... And even if I stare at the paper for 1 more hour I don't think I'll realise my mistakes lol

Grade: B+
(I think my shitty CA contributed to the B+ LOL Mabel got an A- for this mod!! I'm happy for her hehe)

EC1301

Topics:

  • Micro economics - firm profit maximisation, perfect competition, monopolistic competition, monopoly, supply demand
  • Macro economics - GDP, long run model, short run macro model, fiscal and monetary policy etc
Different lecturers for micro and macro. Micro is taught by Connie and macro by Georgiou. 
Connie is not very interesting but she tries her best. Georgiou tries really hard to get your attention and he does haha. He is probably the second lecturer I met this semester so enthusiastic when lecturing. 
Basically this module is like H2 economics (due to emphasis on behaviour of firms) but with added stuff in the macro portion. Micro portion I'd have to say is same or easier than H2.

Things to note

1) There will be weekly pre and post lecture quizzes
Remember to do them! Pre lecture quizzes are really basic, unless you totally didn't read up I guess it will be quite difficult to do? But manageable. Post lecture quizzes are more tricky.

2) Weekly tutorials
Tutorial questions are really basic for the micro portion. It starts to get slightly more tricky at the macro part. But overall manageable. And pls go for tutorials, they record attendance!!

3) One mid term, one final exam
MCQ questions with short open ended questions!!
MCQ is tricky, open ended mostly calculations.

4) Bell curve is REALLY steep
Most will get 80-100% for quizzes and exams so try your best to score well with every assignment you get. Concepts are not difficult to understand too so just do ur best lol.

I met my EC from this module SO MAYBE YOU WILL MEET YOUR EYE CANDY TOO HAHAH He's so cutie and his friend is so nice too??/

Grade: B+
(IM RLY HAPPY because despite forgetting to do 3 pre-lecture quizzes and not knowing how to do one entire qn for finals... YEY)

Omg I took like a week to write all these pls appreciate I hope I helped!!

Jaslynnxxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi, how do you study for GER1000? do you rewatch the lect vids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! erm i didnt really study lol BUT!! i re-did my tutorials. No i didn't rewatch lecture videos but i tried to understand the examples given by the lecturers. I would suggest asking ur TA for possible questions to practice.

      Delete